Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Cinderella dresses!

THEY ARE FINISHED!!!! Do you like my ceiling fan? It makes great hangers for these dresses!

Two princesses are ready to get dressed...and two princess dresses are FINALLY ready!

If you remember...I ordered both dresses off of EB*Y. Abbigail's dress was new with tags. I have heard that Disney costumes run really small. So, being the seamstress that I am (do you hear the sarcasm in my voice??) I figured that I could make a gown smaller, but not bigger. I ordered her a size 10...OOOPS! It is HUGE! It is supposed to be a t-length gown. I took it in at the shoulders. I hemmed about 6 inches off the bottom (my worst hemming job EVER)...and it is now approximately ankle length. None of these issues were from false advertising on the part of the ebay seller...it was exactly as I expected it to be (ok, a little bigger, but that's my fault).

Bethany's dress is not a Disney costume, just a Cinderella look alike. It was listed as being in excellent condition. It was not. The bodice part had completely ripped apart and someone had resewn it with huge whip stitches that were completely across the front of the gown...it didn't look like they were trying to hide the stitching. It was completely ugly (the gown is pretty, but the stitching was ugly). So distracting. I took the entire thing apart and had to resew the entire thing by hand. It looks much better now, if I do say so myself. The dress was also way too long, but had a beautiful silver edging that I didn't want to hide. I figured out a way to hem the gown while preserving the edging. Not a great job, but it will do! Anyway...the dresses are DONE!

Thankfully, Andrew's Buzz costume fits him perfectly and needs NO alteration! We are going to a party at the church where my preschool is located tomorrow, so they will get to wear their costumes tomorrow...I will try to take pictures!
Ok, 3 posts in one night...I'm exhausted! Nighty Night!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see pics of your kids in their Halloween finest. Wow - 3 blogs and 3 comments all in one day. A record for us both. Love, Aunt Patty.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Patty - you're so busy,but you took time to share your wonderful pictures with us. Thanks - its almost as good as being there! The dresses are gorgeous - but I certainly can see you had your work cut out for you. I'm glad they'll get to wear them again in January. Maybe that will help stretch the joy and you'll forget about the busi-ness now. Hope the all of you enjoy Halloween. What are you dressing up like??? Get a picture of that too!! Love you - M&D

Full of Grace said...

Can't wait to see the pictures either :)