Thursday, January 31, 2008

HE IS A READER!!!!

Abbie is an awesome reader. She recently finished a seventh grade level book, and she's only 7 years old, in the second grade! She's always loved school and loved learning. Andrew is not his sister...
I know he's a smart kid, but he's not nearly as social, studious, or school loving as Abbigail...I know you aren't supposed to compare children, and I really try not to! He is his own person with his own gifts and abilities. He has a different teacher than Abbigail had when she was in Kindergarten, so he doesn't do the same things as she did. When she was in K, she brought these little "decodable" books home at least once or twice a week and she was supposed to read them to us. His homework consists of copying words and matching them to their picture ("mitten" to a picture of a mitten..etc). No reading, like a book. I wasn't sure how much he was learning. I never picked up a book and just said "Read this to me." I don't know why, I just didn't. Well, last night he brought home from the school library a board book. He pulled it out of his backpack, but didn't want me to read it to him because it was a "baby book" (his words!). I said, "Ok, I won't read it to you, but can you read it to me?" HE DID!!!! He only needed help with 2 or 3 words in the whole book!! I am SO PROUD!
ANDREW IS A READER!!!
This momma/teacher is just so happy. He IS learning. He is growing. He is succeeding! My little boy can read!!! Sniff, sniff, smile, giggle, tear...

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh wow! Great job Andrew!!

I can't WAIT for that day to come with my Corynn!

(I am mighty impressed by Abbie's reading skills, too!)

Carol said...

Oh Congrats!

We are plugging away with our son....he has some troubles with reading...I wonder sometimes if I should homeschool.................

Steffie B. said...

Woo-hoo....way to go Andrew! Keep up the good work!