Monday, May 21, 2007

I was reading another blog about adoption. This husband and wife have adopted a sibling group of 5 from the Ukraine, and are going back for the youngest sibling who just became available for adoption. The woman posted about Mother's Day. She wrote how painful Mother's Day is for women who want to be mothers, but aren't...can be. Oh, how I can relate! Those years we struggled with infertility were so hard...especially Mother's Day! Here is part of my comment to her, it tells the story of a very painful time, and some of the blessings God has shown me through my struggle (besides my 3 biggest blessings!)

... I thank you for your post about Mother's Day. My husband and I struggled with infertility for 3 years...the three first years of his seminary training. During his vicarage I wanted to stay home that Sunday. I didn't want to go and listen to a sermon about the virtues of motherhood when I felt God was withholding this blessing from me. I can also remember a sermon about Elizabeth and Zachariah. How their being barren and how it was a very important part of their lives. The pastor went on and on about how important it was for people in Bible times to have children and how painful it must have been for them. I was in the choir and sitting in the middle of the second row (no escape!). I cried my way through the service, there was no way I could get up and walk out. It was so painful. The second service, the pastor just mentioned their infertility, and moved on. I don't know how he came up with a totally different sermon while leading Bible study, but I thank him for not putting me through it again. Now, my husband is a pastor, and he is careful to make Mother's day as painless as possible for those struggling with infertility. He does thank God for the gift of mothers, but he also prays for those who want to be mothers, and those who have lost their mothers. He is very sensitive about it. I also think that God led us through this very difficult time so we can minister to others. I am very open about our difficulties and blessings of infertility and later parenthood. Because I do not hide the fact that we struggled, I have had many women approach me and share their struggles and pain. I really think God used this pain in my life so I can relate to women in the same situation.Again, thank you for sharing your story. I pray God continues to bless you and your family...especially in your wait for Kola.
If you would like to read more about this family, their blog can be found http://www.stahlkeadoption.blogspot.com/ .

What a blessing children are...even though the wait for them can be long and painful, they are always worth the wait!

No comments: