Friday, August 7, 2009

Boys will be boys!

I am sitting here on the couch watching my husband and our neighbor (our friend!) play football on the XBOX. FUNNY! They are so funny. I am so glad that my husband is just hanging out with a friend. Being a pastor (and a pastor's wife) is a wonderful blessing that comes with many challenges. It is hard for pastors and their families to make good friends. We have lots of friends, but not necessarily GOOD friends. It is hard to find people who don't expect you to be perfect or judge you for every single thing you do. It's hard to have a "bad" day. People tend to put pastors on a pedestal and forget that they are simply human. They make mistakes just like everyone else. But they also like to have fun.
I have been so blessed in the past year...first because of my job I have gotten to know a bunch of wonderful women. One happens to be our neighbor. They moved in about a year ago. Our other neighbor down the street has also become a dear friend. We like to get together and just talk. I forgot how nice it is to have people you can just be with...no expectations, no judgements, just friendship, support, love. THANK YOU GOD!!!! One thing that helps with these relationships is that neither of these women attend our church. They are both wonderful Christian women, but they attend different churches here in our town. I have had friends in the church, but it is different. I can't complain or tell them anything negative about my husband because he is their pastor (not that I do that often, but sometimes EVERYONE needs to vent!!)
We have gotten together with our entire families, including husbands and children...and even our husbands get along really well. The other husbands thought at first that it was quite "odd" to drink a beer with a 'preacher'. Now they just see him as "Warren." He is their friend, their buddy. They are playing video games. They stand out by the back fence and talk. They have a beer. They talk about sports, technology stuff, grilling, etc. They are just guys and I am so thankful that my husband has these friends. It has been so long since we have had true friends that we didn't have to put on our "pastor and pastor's wife" hats around...I am just so thankful to have these wonderful friends!! We are so blessed!

No comments: